Application for academic year 2022
We are now accepting applications for fiscal year 2022.
Apology and Correction (2021.7.8.)
The following revisions have been made to the application guidelines for each university.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused and ask for your understanding.
3. How to Apply
Proof of Legal Status
d) Certificate of Resettlement Record issued by the Refugee Assistance Headquarters (for applicants who are Indo-Chinese refugees or resettled refugees)
→d) The Certificate of Settlement Record by the Refugee Assistance Headquarters (for applicants who are Indo-Chinese refugees)
・Teikyo University offers English courses at Graduate School of Science Engineering (application guideline for English course will be posted soon).
・Please submit ‘Resident Record (Juminhyo)’ (in place of ‘Resident registration form’) at Application Guideline (b) of H. Proof of Legal Status).
・The application guideline of Teikyo University for English course is posted.
- For the 2022 program (i.e. for those who would like to enter university in April 2022), the application period is from 2 July (Fri) to 6 August (Fri) 2021.
- Please note that some overseas students who have a refugee background and lived in Japan* are also eligible from the 2019 term. For further details, please contact the Secretariat of UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Programme.
* Refugees recognized by a foreign government or by UNHCR outside Japan or individuals who were considered in need of international protection on the basis of, inter alia, a valid/an applicable UNHCR Eligibility Guideline at the time of application to RHEP, and are granted a mid/long term residency status by the Japanese government, or individuals who have a realistic prospect of being granted such a residency status. Please note that asylum seekers whose application for refugee status is pending with the Government of Japan are not eligible.
- The UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Program does not allow you to apply together with other admission by recommendation (This does not apply to individuals who have failed this exam). For further details, please contact the Secretariat of UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Programme.
Undergraduate degree programme
Application Guidelines for the respective universities (for candidates with sufficient language skills for pursuing a degree in English);
* School of International Studies of Kwansei Gakuin University, School of Global Japanese Studies of Meiji University, Faculty of Liberal Arts of Sophia University and Department of Global and Transcultural Studies, Faculty of International Studies of Meiji Gakuin University provide English degree programs.
Graduate degree programme
The scholarship scheme and qualifications for the graduate degree programme is different from that for the undergraduate course. Please check the website of the university and contact to the Secretariat of UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Programme for further inquiries.
* Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies of Waseda University provides English degree programs.
With regards to MEXT’s support program for higher education
From April 2020, the Government of Japan implemented a program that financially supports students from low-income households. Please refer to MEXT’s website (in Japanese only) for further information, as certain RHEP candidates may be eligible to apply.
MEXT: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
Expectations for RHEP Students
- Students must complete with satisfactory academic performance an undergraduate degree that is in principle, a maximum of four years in duration.
- Students must submit a progress report and financial status report to the UNHCR twice a year.
- During the course of their studies, students must complete at least one RHEP project, for example, students may participate in a seminar as a speaker.
- Students must participate regularly in RHEP follow-up meetings, and interviews following their graduation from university.
Selection Process (The schedule is subject to change, and dates may vary from year to year.)
- Applications open
By the end of June each year
- Applications deadline
By the beginning of August each year
- Written Exam
The end of August each year (language and essay)
The end of August each year (in Tokyo)
- Results announced
The beginning of September each year
- Decision process by partner universities
From the middle of September to the beginning of December
- Applications open