Application for academic year 2019
- From Academic year 2019, Kansai University, Hiroshima City University and Waseda University join the programme.
- For the 2019 program (i.e. for those who would like to enter university in April 2019), the application period is from 29 June (Fri) to 3 August (Fri) 2018.
- Please note that some overseas students who have a refugee background and lived in Japan* are also eligible for the 2019 term. For further details, please contact the Secretariat of UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Programme.
* Refugees recognized by a foreign government or by UNHCR outside Japan or individuals who were considered in need of international protection on the basis of, inter alia, a valid/an applicable UNHCR Eligibility Guideline at the time of application to RHEP, and are granted a mid/long term residency status by the Japanese government, or individuals who have a realistic prospect of being granted such a residency status. Please note that asylum seekers whose application for refugee status is pending with the Government of Japan are not eligible.
Undergraduate degree programme
Application Guidelines for the respective universities (for candidates with sufficient language skills for pursuing a degree in English);
* School of International Studies of Kwansei Gakuin University, School of Global Japanese Studies of Meiji University, Faculty of Liberal Arts of Sophia University and Department of Global and Transcultural Studies, Faculty of International Studies of Meiji Gakuin University provide English degree programs.
Graduate degree programme
The scholarship scheme and qualifications for the graduate degree programme is different from that for the undergraduate course. Please check the website of the university and contact to the Secretariat of UNHCR Refugee Higher Education Programme for further inquiries.
- Waseda University
- Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies of Waseda University
* Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies of Waseda University provides English degree programs.
Required documents (for those who apply for an undergraduate degree programme)
- Official documents which certify the applicants are recognized by the Japanese authorities as a refugee or as having a refugee-like status with a residency permit;
- Academic transcript which certifies either successful completion or expected completion of a twelve-year course of formal education by March of the admission year, in Japan or in another country;
- Identification of household finances which certify that the applicants have financial difficulties and have no other means of support for university studies;
- Official documents which certify that the applicant has sufficient Japanese or English language ability to complete a four-year undergraduate degree program.
- Results of the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)*. (Results must be from a test taken within 3 years of the application deadline. The required exam subjects differ depending on the universities and their academic programs);
- RHEP application form, photo, letter of recommendation among others. Please find the RHEP application guideline for further information.
* Important Note:
All applicants (except those who apply for a graduate degree programme) are required to submit results from the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU).
The EJU is a test organized by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) and is conducted annually. Please check the date of the test on the JASSO homepage, and take the examination so that the results may be submitted by the deadline for the RHEP applications.
Click here for more information on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU).
Expectations for RHEP Students
- Students must complete with satisfactory academic performance an undergraduate degree that is in principle, a maximum of four years in duration.
- Students must submit a progress report and financial status report to the UNHCR twice a year.
- During the course of their studies, students must complete at least one RHEP project, for example, students may participate in a seminar as a speaker.
- Students must participate regularly in RHEP follow-up meetings, and interviews following their graduation from university.
Selection Process (The schedule is subject to change, and dates may vary from year to year.)
- Applications open
By the end of June each year
- Applications deadline
By the beginning of August each year
- Written Exam
The end of August each year (language and essay)
The end of August each year (in Tokyo)
- Results announced
The beginning of September each year
- Decision process by partner universities
From the middle of September to the beginning of December